Horror fans are always looking for more platforms to get content from! Not too long ago Cinedigm put Bloody Disgusting in charge of curating their horror streaming platform Screambox. The result has been an updated subscription model that is ad-free with a ton of great content for horror lovers. They are regularly adding to their line-up with old favorites and exclusive new releases.
During the duration of my 100 Horror Movies in 92 Days Challenge, I enjoyed going through their catalog and decided it would be fun to share some of my picks. This is by no means everything but rather a sampling of the great content being offered!
- A Record of Sweet Murder– “Sang-joon has recently escaped from a mental institution and managed to amass a kill count in the high teens, all while spewing nonsense about “the power of love”.” Lately, I’ve been obsessed with the films of Koji Shiraishi. I didn’t expect to love this because the 2nd act is so weird and on paper, it shouldn’t be my thing but that 3rd act and ending really blew me away!
- When the Screaming Starts– “when Norman Graysmith is invited into the home of an aspiring serial killer, Aidan Mendle, he believes he has the subject for the documentary that will make his career.” I saw this one during a film festival and had an absolute blast with it!
- Pennywise: The Story of IT– “Thirty-plus years after its release, the popular two-part miniseries IT and its infamous villain Pennywise live on in the minds of horror fans around the world. This documentary captures not only the buzz the IT saga generated in 1990 but also the lasting impact it has had on an entire generation and the horror genre at large.” This is one of the best horror docs out there! I saw it during its festival run and highly recommend it!
- Aenigma– “The spirit of a comatose teenage girl possesses the body of a newcomer to her girls’ boarding school in order to enact bloody revenge against the elitist, lingerie-clad coeds responsible for her condition.” Fulci is and always has been my favorite Italian director. The effects work in his films is always top-notch.
- Spider Baby– “A caretaker devotes himself to three demented siblings after their father’s death. But then money-hungry relatives show up to usurp their inheritance.” This movie is absolutely what I love about 60s horror. It has great sets, an awesome score, and a kooky story! It’s just a ton of fun.
- Omnivores– “Marcos Vela is a prestigious gastronomic journalist who accepts the request of an independent publisher to write an article on the recent emergence of the Clandestine Restaurants.” If you’ve been in the food content creation industry you know these types of people. Also, this is a great movie for someone wanting to dip their toe into cannibalism horror.
- The Last Thanksgiving– “A family of cannibalistic pilgrims attacks a restaurant that stays open for Thanksgiving.” This movie is like Texas Chain Saw Massacre meets The Strangers: Prey at Night combined with a holiday special! It’s got some gross moments but never takes itself too seriously which makes it a fun holiday viewing! We also did an episode on this over on Final Girls Feast with the director Eric Lorinc!
If any of these films are of interest, Screambox is currently offering new members a 30-Day Free Trial of their platform! They are a great addition to your streaming library and one I’m happy to support! Give them a try, I can imagine you’ll find some favorites of your own! Do you already subscribe to Screambox? What are some of your favorites from the service? Let me know in the comments below!